Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 4---Halloween in Lahaina

Hi Friends and Fam!

Well, that spooky, special, crazy day is upon us today, Halloween 2013.  I have been told it is often called "The Mardi Gras of the Pacific" and has seen up to 30,000 people various years.   When we knew we were coming to Maui this year and the approximate time frame, we decided that as long as we were here,  we had better try the Halloween in Lahaina Party.  I have always wanted to do this and what better time than now!

Mama, Walt and I had decided that we would at least get masks so we purchased those Mardi Gras type half masks online several months prior to leaving.  I, however, wanted to step it up a bit but I really didn't want a whole costume...it's hot in Maui and I planned on spending the whole afternoon in Lahaina.  I couldn't see having those " female power surges" happen in full costume and trying to stay sane or clothed.  I also couldn't see my husband having (or wanting??) to bail me out of jail for indecent exposure due to the power surges, so a full costume was out for me.   

While browsing a costume website I found this tutu that lights up at night.  It was black with blue flashing lights.  I giggled about it and when Walt saw it, a little proposition was countered.  "I will buy it, if you will wear it" he grinned.  It was more of a dare.  Well I thought about it and hemmed and hawed about it for a little while.  I am kind of quiet and shy at first (but try to shut me up once you get to know me and I you) and very self conscious about my rather short, rounded in the middle body.  What a stretch for me to wear a tutu in front of thousands of people.  My only rationalization was.....no one knows me there and it might be fun. Hmm......maybe this would be a proposition I could accept.  I will have on a mask after all, I say to myself. Before I could talk myself out of it, I said, ok.......I accept your offer if you sweeten up the pot a little.  He did, but I'm not telling you what he added for reward :-)

The day started out like the others, coffee and bagels on the balcony, and then we all decided that we would go out to the pool and lay out in the sun a bit.  I had to get a little color on my ghost white body after spending 2 weeks in Maui, or no one would believe I really went.  

Something had really bitten me up tho, the previous night while sharing wine on the balcony.  I don't know why it is, but every time I come to Hawaii, doesn't matter which island, I end up with bug bites all over my legs.  They must be itty bitty cuz I never see them..does anyone who lives in Maui know what this critter bug is?  In Canada, they have a "no see-um bug", is there such a thing in Hawaii?? I must be allergic to whatever bug it is tho because it itches so badly and I just can't quit scratching them.  I had about 6 big ole red welts on my legs and thought maybe the sun would help dry them up.  I had tried mouthwash, benadryl, and ended up getting some type of cream with cortisone in it that helped a little.

Oh these legs are not going to look so good with shorts and a tutu!  

We all went out and played in the sun for about an hour or two.  The passing clouds brought some rain with it but it was just one of those passing showers that really cool you down, so we didn't mind.

About noon we decided we had better get in and get changed and head into Lahaina.  I knew which parking lots not to use, because we knew we would not stay late that night. Any lot that opened onto Front Street would be closed until after midnight.  With the uneven walkways in Lahaina, big crowds and mama with a mask, it would not be good to stay very long after it got dark.  We found the lot at Hilo Hattie's to be the best one for us every time that we went into Lahaina.  If you purchase something at Hilo Hattie's they will validate your parking ticket for 2 or 3 hours I believe it was, so that was nice, and who can't find something to purchase at Hilo Hattie's?

We stopped at Ululani's for our first shave ice.  This stop was very highly recommended by fellow TA members and I now see why.  It was the best shave ice I have ever had.  I went with a small, which was huge.  If you just want a little one, try the micro I think they called it. The large was humongous, enough to share with 2 or 3.  We had skipped lunch so the small did the trick for me.  They have a punch card that if you purchase, I think it is 9 you get the 10th one free.  That was a no brainer for us, because we had 3 in our party each time,  so it takes no time to earn that free one.
Mama and Me

Off we went to browse several of the shops.  I did a lot of Christmas shopping at Hilo Hattie and a few smaller shops.  After depositing our goodies back in the trunk of the car, we went to find a place to park ourselves to view the keiki parade.  We were starting to see several people sporting their costumes so once we found a nice place to view near a tree on the street near the sea wall, we put on our masks and me the tutu.  


Pretty Peacock

I had a ball taking pix and enjoying the little ones and the adults,  both in their silly, fun and very many unique costumes.  I could see myself getting into this holiday celebration each year if I lived here.    A few costumes were a little risque, but I am sure more of those types came out after dark, hee hee! What a hoot!!!  We visited with a lady everyone was calling grandma and she had lived there for 35 years.  She was nice to converse with.





Mama and "Grandma"


Walt in disguise


Spooky Zombe


Kind of "corny"



Beetle Juice and Love

Bee and Bee

SuperMan and Sailorette

Ummm???

Rainbow Clown

One size does not fit all (coconuts I mean)

Such cute little dice and dots!

Doggy has fun too

Only YOU can prevent forest fires!


Smile!

Mummy and Family

Drink anyone?

Jelly Fishees

Witchy Woman

Miss Butterfly was flitting all over


OOO LA LA She is so sparkly


Hey Ref, that was a baaaad call!

Bride of????

Thank you Rotary and Soroptimists

Mermaids

Cuties!


We saw the tee shirts being sold for this year's celebration, so we all purchased one to help the cause for next year's parade.  It is a great souvenir/keepsake  as well.  

The keiki parade started between 4:30 and 5.  I am going to post several of the pictures I took before, during and after the parade.  I hope that no one takes offence if their picture is on my blog, most of the folks were great with posing and enjoyed being photographed.  

About 6:30 it was getting dark and a lot more people were starting to gather. We decided it was time to go and get some food in our tummy's.  It was nearly impossible to find a place to eat in Lahaina, so we decided rather than wait a long time in line, we would go elsewhere.   

We went to The Sea House for a lovely dinner.  Mama had the crab stuffed prawns, Walt had the porcine mushroom ravioli, and  I had Lawa Pono Pa, which was the chef's special preparation of the fish for that day.   We ate on the patio outside, and even tho it was quite busy and we had no reservations, they were able to accommodate us.  
Yummo at the Sea House

Sea House Dinner




It had been a long, but fun day.  One thing I was disappointed with tho, was that my tutu would not light up in the daylight, so I didn't get to show the flashing blue lights.  Bummer.  Well, Walt had a solution to that too.  




Guess Who??

Happy Halloween!

When we got back to the condo, he said let's do a video so we can see the tutu light up.  I said, ohk.......I had a few glasses of wine at dinner so I went along.  I got the giggles so hard that I got to coughing, and it turned into a silly video, but I promised certain family members and people on TA that I would indeed share this video.  It really is totally out of my comfort zone, but what the heck, I've pretty much bared a lot of myself to you all anyway, you may as well see the goofy side of me too! 

So Joan,  I am sharing this with all, but it is especially for you so you can have one of those belly laughs that I know you can use now and then! Enjoy!!!


https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnv8rxpzos83526/M2U00044.MPG?n=185898849


Oh, by the way.......the camera man was a bit tipsy too I believe...I certainly did not turn that camera sideways for the first few frames...I had enough trouble standing up straight...hee hee


To My Fam and TA friends......I hope you all have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!

Aloha til Day 5!

Cin





No comments:

Post a Comment