Sunday, December 1, 2013

Day 6 Maui Swap Meet, Maui Ocean Center and Walt's Birthday

Happy Birthday to my sweetie today! I love you very much! Yay, he gets to have his yearly Hula Pie in Hawaii!  How sweet is that??

My husband LOVES Hula Pie. We have been doing our utmost best efforts to get him is Hula Pie every year for the past several years.  If we can't be in Hawaii for his day, we take some days off and drive to Dukes in either Huntington Beach or Malibu for his special dessert.  The last three years we have been on Big Island, and due to a long ago agreement between friends of the TS Restaurant Family, there will never be a TS Restaurant on the Big Island.  This year we are lucky enough to be on Maui which serves his dessert at 3 of the 4 TS Restaurants, but his favorite has always been Dukes, so tonight we go celebrate him!

We started out our day, however, with an early breakfast because we were going to go to the Maui Swap Meet at the college.  The last time we were on Maui and went to a swap meet, it was in a small fair grounds area if I remember correctly so I was anxious to see how it has grown and what the college campus was like.


We got to the swap meet about 10 am and started our snooping around.  My first find was a couple of really cute Hawaiian print aprons that a local lady makes, and I purchased 2 of them.  

Next stop was to a man named Walter, that our TA Friend, Deb, had told us about that makes really nice ceramic pieces.  On  his discount  table, I found a small piece that were sculptured  honus.  My two favorite critters in Hawaii, are the honu and the gecko.  He had several beautiful larger pieces but I didn't know yet, if I was going to have to ship home my purchases, or if I could squeeze them into my bags.  

The only reason it was on the discount table was because there was a small crack on the back of the piece, but Walter had repaired it and guaranteed it wouldn't crack.  The other issue was a small area or two on the front, that did not have any paint or glaze on it.  I could see that I could easily repair it by dabbing on some brown, blue or green nail polish, so I purchased it for $10.  When I got it home, the nail polish worked like a charm and you can't even see where the boo boo was!  I'm a happy camper!






I wandered around all the aisles and saw so many nice hand made or crafted items, but my pocketbook and suitcases are only so big, so I resisted a lot of great things.  I did purchase some tea from Maui Rainbow Teas that had some very interesting fruit flavors.   Then I came upon a table of my ultimate downfall...the spices, rubs, dressings, jams, jellies etc.  When I find a gourmet type store with these items I can spend literally hours in them! Walt just walks away and says when shall I return for you?? Hee Hee

The company is Jeff's Jams and Jellies and I had heard about how good his things were.  I bought several rubs and 3 dressings.  I did not purchase any of the jams or jelly because I knew that I would be over on weight at the airport should I start with them, but he did give me a free small jar of my choice for the purchase. The bbq rub is really good, I already tried it....yummo!! 

Our next stop for the day was the Maui Ocean Center.  We had been there on a previous trip to Maui, but I vaguely remembered it and I don't believe they had the walk thru tunnel back then.  

Boy was it windy that day!  I guess every time we were in Ma'alaea this year it was windy but it was sunny and pleasant......hey, your in Maui, right?  It's all good!























The Ocean Center was a really well done aquarium.  We didn't choose to do the audio tour, we just went on our own.  They have volunteers scattered at various points to help with questions the kids had, or let them touch various things.  One of the volunteers had a complete lobster shell that the kids were amazed at, along with various other items for them to touch and see.  I took several pictures and I will share a few with you!  I just LOVE anything that lives in the sea.  Kind of curious for someone who can't swim, but I can sit for hours and just watch the fish swimming, turtles swimming, whales breeching and the waves rolling in ,and my blood pressure goes way down, as long as I'm not in the water!  HA!


Our tummy's were growling and it was Happy Hour at Dukes, so off we went. I had made reservations for the dining room but when we got there we enjoyed the outside bar/dining area much more than being stuck inside, so we ask if we could stay there and cancel the reservations inside.  The waitress happily accommodated. 

Mom and I drank wine and Walt had mai tai.  We ordered some calamari, and nachos to start with.  We just took our time and people watched for some time.  After the pupus we really weren't hungry for a full dinner, even tho the waitress said we could order from the dining room menu,  so we chose to eat off the bar menu.  Walt had tacos, mama had fish and chips and I ordered the ribs and huli huli chicken.  


Sunset at Dukes Maui


Yummo, Happy Birthday Baby!

                                                                                                                     




Our Waitress......she was very attentive!



Clouds coming in, beautiful





                                                                             
The Famous Hula Pie.........mmmm mmmmm good




We watched the sunset and enjoyed each other and the meal.  The time came for dessert so here came the Hula Pie.  Mama and I got a bite and that is about all, that man can eat "the whole thing".  I ordered a coffee drink called Chip Shot which is Bailey's, Tuaca and Maui coffee instead of a dessert and I, too, was a happy camper, like hubby!

We stayed til after the sunset and then retreated to the condo.  See you all for Day 6!

Aloha!
Cin



No comments:

Post a Comment